Subject: Re: [lvs-users] Why do Weights Change by Themselves?

From: "Robinson, Eric" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 01:59:11 -0700

I've got ldirectord logs in /var/log, but they are all 0 bytes. My
ldirectord.cg contains these entries:

logfile="/var/log/ldirectord.log"
logfile="local0"

ldirectord is managed by heartbeat, so I'm not sure how to change its
debug level on the fly without messing with existing connections. 

Which brings up another point. I notice that my load balancer computers
BOTH have the following in rc.local:

/sbin/ipvsadm --start-daemon master
/sbin/ipvsadm --start-daemon backup

Both daemons are running on both computers. That's contrary to what the
man page seems to indicate, but then maybe it's correct for a heartbeat
cluster?

--
Eric Robinson

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Graeme
Fowler
Sent: Thursday, March 26, 2009 1:32 AM
To: LinuxVirtualServer.org users mailing list.
Subject: Re: [lvs-users] Why do Weights Change by Themselves?

On Thu, 2009-03-26 at 01:26 -0700, Robinson, Eric wrote:
> I've been using lvs+ldirectord for a while now. I've observed on many 
> occasions that weights sometimes seem to change spontaneously.

Nothing in a computer is ever spontaneous, unless it's broken. Or
overclocked ;-)

Anyway: you'll need to be looking in, or turning up the level of, your
logs. I suspect something, somewhere, is interacting with ldirectord (it
may be ldirectord itself) and is fiddling with the weights in normal
operation.

Can you see if anything is logged, and if not consider turning up the
log level?

Graeme

_______________________________________________
Please read the documentation before posting - it's available at:
http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/

LinuxVirtualServer.org mailing list - [email-masked]
Send requests to [email-masked]
or go to http://lists.graemef.net/mailman/listinfo/lvs-users

Disclaimer - March 26, 2009 
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for LinuxVirtualServer.org users mailing list.. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute, copy or alter this email. Any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and might not represent those of Physician Select Management and Physician's Managed Care. Warning: Although Physician Select Management and Physician's Managed Care have taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are present in this email, the companies cannot accept responsibility for any loss or damage arising from the use of this email or attachments. 
This disclaimer was added by Policy Patrol: http://www.policypatrol.com/

_______________________________________________
Please read the documentation before posting - it's available at:
http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/

LinuxVirtualServer.org mailing list - [email-masked]
Send requests to [email-masked]
or go to http://lists.graemef.net/mailman/listinfo/lvs-users

---

From: Sebastian Vieira <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 12:50:02 +0100

> man page seems to indicate, but then maybe it's correct for a heartbeat

Yeah that's okay to have them both running. Actually it's better this way,
than to have them handled as a heartbeat resource. Let's call your setup
box1 and box2 and on them run master1 + slave1 and master2 + slave2. Now
master1 sends its updates to slave2 and master2 to slave1. If box1 is
active, master2 will send (close to) nothing to slave1.

I always set a different sync id on both master-slave connections, like
this:

box1 $ ipvsadm --start-daemon master --sync-id 50
box1 $ ipvsadm --start-daemon backup --sync-id 51
box2 $ ipvsadm --start-daemon master --sync-id 51
box2 $ ipvsadm --start-daemon backup --sync-id 50

But i'm not sure if that's necessary. It works though :)

regards,

Sebastian