Subject: [lvs-users] HOWTO Might Need Revision?

From: "Robinson, Eric" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2009 07:56:36 -0700

The section on One Network LVS-NAT bothered me because disabling
redirects at the load balancer and removing the local LAN routes from
the RealServers would cause all network traffic between RealServers to
pass through the director. This is undesirable in environments where
inter-RS traffic is high, as with clustering and data replication.

I decided NOT to disable redirects OR remove the local LAN routes from
the RealServers. Instead, I just added explicit routes from each RS to
my client machine through the director and did the same on the client. I
figured I could live with some redirect traffic. It worked fine, and as
a side effect I noticed that no redirects were being sent by the
director machine anyway. Running sniffers simultaneously on the client,
the director, and the server, I observed no ICMP redirects being sent or
received. The traces also showed that requests and responses were in
fact passing through the director and being properly NATed.

You might want to consider adding a note to the One Network LVS-NAT
HOWTO indicating that if someone only has a few clients that need to
access RealServers on their own subnet through a director, using static
routes on each client and RS seems to be a better approach.

--
Eric Robinson

Disclaimer - March 21, 2009 
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for LinuxVirtualServer.org users mailing list.. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute, copy or alter this email. Any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and might not represent those of . Warning: Although  has taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are present in this email, the company cannot accept responsibility for any loss or damage arising from the use of this email or attachments. 
This disclaimer was added by Policy Patrol: http://www.policypatrol.com/

_______________________________________________
Please read the documentation before posting - it's available at:
http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/

LinuxVirtualServer.org mailing list - [email-masked]
Send requests to [email-masked]
or go to http://lists.graemef.net/mailman/listinfo/lvs-users

---

From: Joseph Mack NA3T <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2009 09:09:35 -0700 (PDT)

> inter-RS traffic is high, as with clustering and data replication.

OK

> my client machine

> routes on each client and RS seems to be a better approach.

Thanks will add your note.

Joe

-- 
Joseph Mack NA3T EME(B,D), FM05lw North Carolina
jmack (at) wm7d (dot) net - azimuthal equidistant map
generator at http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml
Homepage http://www.austintek.com/ It's GNU/Linux!