Subject: [lvs-users] Why do Weights Change by Themselves?

From: "Robinson, Eric" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 01:26:21 -0700

I've been using lvs+ldirectord for a while now. I've observed on many
occasions that weights sometimes seem to change spontaneously. For
example, I have three Windows terminal servers as follows:

TCP  192.168.5.100:3389 wlc
  -> 192.168.10.35:3389           Masq    20    19          0
  -> 192.168.15.84:3389           Masq    40    51          0
  -> 192.168.15.83:3389           Masq    40    52          0

The server at 192.168.10.35 is new and still in testing. I want it to
handle less load than the othes, so I set its weight lower.

But then I come back a few hours later and I find it looking something
like this:

TCP  192.168.5.100:3389 wlc
  -> 192.168.10.35:3389           Masq     1    41          0
  -> 192.168.15.84:3389           Masq     1    40          1
  -> 192.168.15.83:3389           Masq     1    41          0

Can anyone suggest a reason why these weights would change by
themselves?

--
Eric Robinson

Disclaimer - March 26, 2009 
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for LinuxVirtualServer.org users mailing list.. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute, copy or alter this email. Any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and might not represent those of Physician Select Management and Physician's Managed Care. Warning: Although Physician Select Management and Physician's Managed Care have taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are present in this email, the companies cannot accept responsibility for any loss or damage arising from the use of this email or attachments. 
This disclaimer was added by Policy Patrol: http://www.policypatrol.com/

_______________________________________________
Please read the documentation before posting - it's available at:
http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/

LinuxVirtualServer.org mailing list - [email-masked]
Send requests to [email-masked]
or go to http://lists.graemef.net/mailman/listinfo/lvs-users

---

From: Graeme Fowler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 08:32:08 +0000

On Thu, 2009-03-26 at 01:26 -0700, Robinson, Eric wrote:
> occasions that weights sometimes seem to change spontaneously.

Nothing in a computer is ever spontaneous, unless it's broken. Or
overclocked ;-)

Anyway: you'll need to be looking in, or turning up the level of, your
logs. I suspect something, somewhere, is interacting with ldirectord (it
may be ldirectord itself) and is fiddling with the weights in normal
operation.

Can you see if anything is logged, and if not consider turning up the
log level?

Graeme