Re: [lvs-users] in ldirectord.cf, the meaning of 'checkcount' is ambiguo

To: "Robinson, Eric" <eric.robinson@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [lvs-users] in ldirectord.cf, the meaning of 'checkcount' is ambiguous
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Simon Horman <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 11:55:36 +0900
On Fri, Jul 08, 2011 at 04:45:17AM -0700, Robinson, Eric wrote:
> The ldirectord man page states that 'checkcount' only works with ping
> checks. Then the next sentence goes on to give an example of checkcount
> being used in conjunction with connectimeout/negotiatetimeout, neither
> of which are related to ping checks. Can someone please clarify? Horms?

Hi Eric,

sorry for not responding earlier.

I've taken a look at the code (in git) and to be honest I don't
think that this is my handiwork. But none the less I believe that
the situation is:

* checkcount only applies to ping.
  There is a loop in the ping check that will try
  ping up to checkcount times, breaking out of the loop
  if a ping is successful
* checkcount is deprecated in favour of failurecount
* failurecount works similarly to checkcount, except that it
  it operates at a higher level and applies to all types of checks
* It appears that specifying both failurecount and checkcount would have
  a multiplier effect, though only for ping checks

I will fix up the sample ldirectord.cf to make use of failurecount
instead of checkcount.