Re: [lvs-users] localnode question

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] localnode question
From: Dean Scothern <dean.scothern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 13:42:13 +0000
On Wrote, 30 Nov 2011, Joseph Mack wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Nov 2011, Dean Scothern wrote:

> ipvs?
> >>
> >> other than not using it?
> > What alternatives are there?
>
> 1 and 0 are the only two possibilities in a binary system.
>
> localnode is uses a feature of the kernel. It's in LVS because it was
> possible to
> do. It isn't a recommended feature for a production LVS. You can make a
> demo LVS out of two boxes but that's about it.

Mmm a feature, but always enabled?
Perhaps I can stop lvs from using it, by modifying the source?

The documentation (old) says that lvs loading is quite low so I wanted to test
it. At the moment I can't even do that in this case.

When I was asking about alternatives I was wondering If other loadbalancing
systems apart from lvs were available for Linux.

> > I have a two box solution in which both nodes are real servers.
> > The boxes are connected via their primary interfaces.
> > Exim(mail) is running on both. Pacemaker is used for HA and can migrate
> the two exims in the usual way.
> > I want to load balance between the two nodes and as I'm not allowed to
> use lvs-dr I've tried to use lvs-nat.
> > To this end I've added a secondary network and again used pacemaker to
> manage the secondary VIPS (and ldirectord).
>
> your diagram didn't survive e-mail. Do you have a mixture of tabs and blanks?

Mmm proportional fonts this end maybe
I'l cut and paste from vi:

           client

     Primary Network
    __________|_______
    |RIP,VIP1        |VIP2,RIP
========         ========
=      =         =lvsnat=
= exim =         = exim =
========         ========
    |_______________|
VIP1s,RIP       VIP2s, RIP
    Secondary Network

> > I really don't want to add a separate load balancer cluster for the sake of
> two machines.
>
> OK. I don't see any other way out of it.
That's a pity.

> Joe
>
> --
> Joseph Mack NA3T EME(B,D), FM05lw North Carolina jmack (at) wm7d (dot)
> net - azimuthal equidistant map generator at
> http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml Homepage http://www.austintek.com/
> It's GNU/Linux!

Dr Dean Scothern
Infrastructure

E: dean.scothern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
T: +44 (0)1225 474379
F: +44 (0)1225 474301
www.eduserv.org.uk
Eduserv is a company limited by guarantee (registered in England & Wales,
company number: 3763109) and a charity (charity number 1079456), whose
registered office is at Royal Mead, Railway Place, Bath, BA1 1SR.