Re: [lvs-users] Question about director (LVS-DR) & realservers on differ

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] Question about director (LVS-DR) & realservers on different VLANs
From: Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 08:14:03 -0700 (PDT)
On Wed, 17 Oct 2012, Net Ground - Frederique Rijsdijk wrote:

> Hi Joe,
>
> On       Wed Oct 17 15:13:27 BST 2012, Joe wrote:
>> real "clients on realservers" in the HOWTO
>
> I've read that, but even for servers that are not part of
> the LVS, but in the same subnet as some of the
> realservers, I can not reach the VIP. Is that normal
> behaviour?

I haven't had much to do with LVS in the last few years, so
I may not have the correct answer here.

In the earlier versions of lvs, it was possible to set up an
lvs with CIP, VIP, and DIPs all on the same network.

Once you go to separate networks for the VIP and DIPs, you
have to regard the LVS as a black box network wise. ie you
only connect with the VIP:lvs_port (and packets come back
from the VIPs on the realservers). LVS controlls the routing
of packets on the DIP network to the LVS'ed ports. You
aren't supposed to connect with anything in the DIP:lvs_port
network from the outside. In this case a machine in the DIP
network won't be able to connect to the VIP:lvs_port either.