Re: [lvs-users] [OT] High Performance Linux Firewall / VPN Device?

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] [OT] High Performance Linux Firewall / VPN Device?
From: Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2011 13:16:24 -0700 (PDT)
On Sat, 13 Aug 2011, Robinson, Eric wrote:

> http://demo.endian.com
> Your Login: admin
> Your Password: efw_demo

it's running 10-50% CPU for about 5KBps. Maybe it's a
wrt54gs?

I like their webpages though.

> By golly, they do. 400Mbps of VPN throughput is rather
> disappointingly low.

Did you find a price?

> I was hoping to build a home-brew solution that would be
> at least twice that, considering that one can buy a used
> NetScreen or Nokia firewall that handles 25,000 tunnels at
> 1+ Gbps throughput for about $3K.

You're going to be spending a bit of time to home brew. If
your time is your own that's one thing, but if this is real
business, I'd be buying the appliance.

> Oh well, back to eBay... :-)

There's some lesson here about packaging products and why
having people who write GPL software doesn't make money.

It seems that writing the code (eg OpenVPN) isn't the hard
part. Someone will do this for you for free. Endian had to
design and build hardware, make sure it worked, get it UL
certified, write configure scripts (and ones that would run
inside a webpage), put up a nice webpage and pay people for
about a year before the income stream started, with no real
idea what to do if it didn't start.

Way back when the www started I wrote a demo PoS from which
I hoped to make a packet. I realised that I'd have to get
SSL certs and talk to banks etc to get them to handle the
credit cards. So I knew I wasn't there. The customer wasn't
interested (and later closed, possibly from having missed an
opprtunity), so I dropped it. Not long after (well a couple
of years), people had the on-line credit card stuff all
packaged up and you just linked to their site to handle
psyments. After that I realised I had been a little naive. I
had a year to occupy that niche (including the commitment of
time and money) or forget it. I could never have made it
with just one on-line store and me in the basement.