LVS
lvs-devel

[lvs-devel] crashing kernel with lvs as transparent squid proxy

Subject: [lvs-devel] crashing kernel with lvs as transparent squid proxy
From: jmack at wm7d.net (Joseph Mack NA3T)
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 07:34:48 -0700 (PDT)
On Tue, 11 Sep 2007, Peter Warasin wrote:

> hi people
>
> I made some modifications on the lvs specific kernel code, which now
> leads into kernel oops. Could someone give me some pointers about how to
> find the bug? I am not very familiar with the kernel code, so maybe i
> missed some simple tricks which routined people know and me not.
>
> Basically i altered the lvs code in order to make it catch packets
> within the PREROUTING chain instead of the INPUT chain. My setup works,
> but sometimes i have a kernel oops.

One of the long term goals of LVS is to move all the code to
the FORWARDING chain. This way we'd remove the requirement
for the VIP on the director. Source routing for LVS-NAT,
which currently doesn't work, would be handled by the
regular routing tables.

Horms has code where ip_vs() is in the PREROUTING chain
(mentioned in

http://www.austintek.com/LVS/LVS-HOWTO/HOWTO/LVS-HOWTO.filter_rules.html#path_of_an_ip_vs_packet
)

and last I talked to him about it, he was looking for people
to test it.

Ludo also moved LVS to another spot

http://www.austintek.com/LVS/LVS-HOWTO/HOWTO/LVS-HOWTO.ludos_reinject_forwarder.html

Ludo's code is linked from the HOWTO.

You might want to contact Horms off-line for his code. He's
likely busy at the moment, as judging by the infrequency
he's replying to the list.