LVS
lvs-devel

[lvs-devel] Sync connection timeout patch by Andy Gospodarek - made to w

Subject: [lvs-devel] Sync connection timeout patch by Andy Gospodarek - made to work better.
From: horms at verge.net.au (Simon Horman)
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 17:10:29 +0900
On Tue, Oct 30, 2007 at 05:47:49PM +0200, Rumen Bogdanovski wrote:
> Hi Simon,
>

> > > Also I find it a good idea to sync the connections on ESTABLISHED to
> > > FIN_WAIT transition, this will reduce the hanging time to 2 minutes and
> > > we will avoid the short timeout if the conn is established.
> >
> > I'm not oposed to this idea, but the synchronisation messages are
> > sent via UDP, and thus an individual message may not arrive
> > (though hopefully the majority of them will). I guess that
> > your scheeme will work anyway: In the case where the packet arrives
> > the state is updated; In the case where it doesn't then we
> > are just back to where we are now, but that shouldn't happen
> > very often (hopefully).
> >

> I am sending you a patch that will make Andy's patch to work better. It
> makes the master to sync connections on ANY->IP_VS_TCP_S_FIN_WAIT and
> ANY->IP_VS_TCP_S_CLOSE state transition, in this case normally the
> connection on the backup will be closed more or less at the same time as
> on the master. If we are not lucky it will timeout with
> IP_VS_TCP_S_FIN_WAIT timeout (2min), and if the backup misses even this
> sync, bad luck, 15 minutes till the timeout...
>
> I have also made the backup to set the state of any received connection
> in order to make "ipvsadm -lnc" display its proper state and for Andy's
> patch to set the proper timeout. This does not look to be a problem I
> have spent more than half a day testing all this, and it looks working.
>
> This patch should be applied over the patch I have sent before.
>
> Tell me what do you think? Do you agree with my view to treat the
> timeout problem on the backup?

I think that this approach seems quite sound. Have you tested it to see
how it behaves?

For reference, I have attached my version of your two patches,
which I have rediffed a little. Could you provide an appropriate
comment and signoff for the second patch once you are happy with it?

--
Horms
  H: http://www.vergenet.net/~horms/