LVS
lvs-devel

Re: Making IPVS work with IPv6

To: Julius Volz <juliusv@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Making IPVS work with IPv6
Cc: lvs-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 04:41:31 -0700 (PDT)
On Mon, 31 Mar 2008, Julius Volz wrote:

Thanks for the warning, I guess you are talking about this (and the
following points):

http://www.austintek.com/LVS/LVS-HOWTO/HOWTO/LVS-HOWTO.LVS-Tun.html#MTU

Does this have any special implications in the IPv6 case?

possibly, possibly not. I was just warning you so that if you came across it, you would recognize it.

The problem looks pretty complicated and no one seems to completely understand it ;) I will keep it in mind for later though.

 We don't have enough people using UDP to know how LVS should
 handle UDP.

Again, interesting info. Is there a specific relation to IPv6 though?

I assume you'll be testing UDP, and if it behaves strangely, you'll want to know which parts to blame us for :-)

Aha, interesting. Could you explain a bit more for a newbie in what ways IPVS "bypasses" netfilter?

LVS controlled packets don't always follow the netfilter path. They appear in the output without going through the middle. So iptables rules don't always work.