LVS
lvs-devel

Re: [rfc 0/3] IPVS: checksum updates

To: lvs-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, netdev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [rfc 0/3] IPVS: checksum updates
Cc: Siim Põder <siim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>, Malcolm Turnbull <malcolm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Julius Volz <juliusv@xxxxxxxxxx>, Vince Busam <vbusam@xxxxxxxxxx>, Herbert Xu <herbert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Simon Horman <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 09:40:29 +1000
On Mon, Sep 08, 2008 at 12:04:20PM +1000, Simon Horman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The impetus for this series of patches is Julian Anastasov noting
> that "load balance IPv4 connections from a local process" checks
> for 0 TCP checksums. Herbert Xu confirmed that this is not legal,
> even on loopback traffic, but that rather partial checksums are
> possible.
>
> The first patch in this series is a proposed solution to handle
> partial checksums for both TCP and UDP.
>
> The other two patches clean things up a bit.
>
> I have not tested this code beyond compilation yet.

After extensive testing by Julius Volz and limited testing by myself, I
have applied the first patch, which does indeed allow packets with
PARTIAL_CHECKSUM to work, to lvs-next-2.6. I have dropped the second two
patches which produce bogus checksums.

I will revisit the second to patches at some point and try and produce
versions that work.