LVS
lvs-devel

Re: Multiple load balancers problem

To: Hans Schillstrom <hans@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Multiple load balancers problem
Cc: Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>, lvs-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Dmitry Akindinov <dimak@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 21:24:04 +0400
Hello,

On 2012-08-28 00:43, Hans Schillstrom wrote:
Hello

[snip]

        No loop? Because S2 will receive DR method in
the SYNC messages for its stack. You see traffic flow
or just that there is no reset?

Yes, after the failover, all connections that were open on the S2 (which
now becomes the active balancer) do not reset and continue to function
just fine (traffic flow in both directions).

We do understand (we think) your explanation about the sync table
problem  - the connections to the actual balancer are marked in a
special way, which causes problems when these connection table records
are used on a new balancer.

It looks like updating the kernels is the only way, if (as you and Hans
Schillstrom outlines) even the latest CentOS/RedHat kernels do not
contain necessary patches. It's a pity, as the idea was to provide an
"out of the box" solution for our customers, and asking them to update
to some Linux kernel is not what they like to hear.

But thank you very much in any case, we will update the kernels on our
test systems and will see if this (last?) problem disappears.

There is newer kernels floating around in the 3.x range
Have a look at ELRepo Project there you can find a 3.5.x kernel
that have all necessary changes.

Installed CentOS 6.3 and the kernel 3.5.3 from elrepo.org

[root@fe3 ~]# uname -a
Linux fe3.msk 3.5.3-1.el6.elrepo.x86_64 #1 SMP Sun Aug 26 14:05:15 EDT 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

But we still see the same problem: connections to the old balancer are RSET'ed when the new balancer takes over. Any idea which particular kernel we need to use? Or, do we need to apply some specific patches and build our own kernel?

Thank you for all your help so far!

BR
Hans

--