LVS
lvs-devel

fwmark based ipvs with state transfer / failover: sufficient to mark --s

To: lvs-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: fwmark based ipvs with state transfer / failover: sufficient to mark --syn?
From: Patrick Schaaf <netdev@xxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2013 18:16:08 +0100
Dear LVS developers,

(sorry if this seems silly - I prefer asking around over getting bitten some
time down the road...)

we run ipvs in LVS-NAT mode on two loadbalancers in an active/standby setup,
with ipvssync threads (and conntrackd) syncing state between the balancers.
This is running kernel 2.6.36 at the moment.

Most of the ipvs services we run are fwmark based. Until now, we mark all
relevant packets. Now I had the idea, that it would be sufficient to only mark
--syn packets - potentially saving a number of iptables rule checks for the
more frequent case of non-syn packets.

This seems to work for initial tests, but I am a bit worried whether it would
still work in a failover case, thus my question:

Upon takeover on the standby balancer, will new, UNmarked frames of existing
connections, be properly matched up to previously synced state, so that these
connections continue to work? In other words, is the IP header information
(IP/port four-tuple) sufficient for connection pickup, and independant of the
fwmark value on the packets?

best regards
  Patrick