LVS
lvs-devel

Re: IPVS Health Checking Best Practices

To: Alex Gartrell <agartrell@xxxxxx>, lvs-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: IPVS Health Checking Best Practices
Cc: dsp@xxxxxx, kernel-team <Kernel-team@xxxxxx>, ps@xxxxxx
From: Alexey Andriyanov <alan@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2014 08:31:05 +0400
Hi, Alex.

We use tunnel checks to the host itself. The encapsulated packet looks like
this:
CHK_SRC -> RS1 [ (IPIP) CHK_SRC -> VIP1 ].

This could be done without maintaining iptables rules or tunnel interfaces.
You simply apply fwmark corresponding to a proper RS to checker socket via
SO_MARK. Then direct all marked packets in OUTPUT to the NFQUEUE, and
encapsulate a packet in user-space, selecting tunnel endpoint based on fwmark.

We use keepalived + this little tool for that:
https://github.com/andriyanov/check-tun

--
Best regards,
Alexey