Re: load balancing the load balancer.

To: klynn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, linux-virtualserver@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: load balancing the load balancer.
From: Robert Thomas <rob@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 20:50:02 +1100
klynn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> So.. one question.. how did you test?

'netcat' by l0pht I think. A quick grep of the doc's produced these mirrors:

zippy.telcom.arizona.edu:/pub/mirrors/avian.org/hacks/nc110.tgz
ftp.sterling.com:/mirrors/avian.org/src/hacks/nc110.tgz
coast.cs.purdue.edu:/pub/tools/unix/netcat/nc110.tgz
ftp.rge.com:/pub/security/coast/mirrors/avian.org/netcat/nc110.tgz

> I'm curious because from what I understand a cisco localdirector is very
> speedy at only one connection but when you have several hundred/thousands
> of connections going at the same time it slows down significantly.

Hmm, I don't know about that.  Connect.com.au proxy about half the Australian
ISP traffic through Cisco LD's.  Huge 8-)

> (To the order of only handling 10mbit reliably from what I understand..)

Hurm, the redirector -did- actually crash, but it was only after having thrown
100mbit of data at it for a few minutes. Just locked up hard. Didn't spent any
time looking at it, and it's running fine in production now!

--Rob