Re: An idea

To: Wensong Zhang <wensong@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: An idea
Cc: linux-virtualserver@xxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Robert Thomas <rob@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 Dec 1998 21:30:15 +1100
Wensong Zhang wrote:

> I have got an idea to promote the Linux virtual server. Why not you and I
> coauther an article "Creating an high-performance and highly-available
> Linux cache server" and try to present it on the Linux Expro 1999 or the
> Linux International Journal?

Good idea!  Also, getting a new release into freshmeat.net would get it a lot
of publicity, too. A lot of people watch that hourly.

> The load balancer can automatically detect whether the real server is up or
> down via the "Mon" software, then modify the virtual server rule table. The
> load balancer has an backup server, the "heartbeat" code is used between
> the load balancer and its backup server, when a fail is detected, the
> "fake" is used to active the backup to work.

Has this code been written?  I've got a spare weekend over christmas, I can
code it up then if you want.  I've had a fair bit of experience with hi-av
services, so I'm reasonably clued on how to make it work, and how to make it
not suck!

> I want to ask you to change your current virtual proxy server via NAT to
> the virtual proxy server via IP tunneling and to do some tests, see how
> good it really is. Then, I may write a draft article, since my English
> isn't good, you revise it and add your things on it. What do you think
> about it?

I'll see what I can do this week about setting it up with tunneling. I need to
upgrade the kernels in the proxy servers, anyway - they're running versions
from 2.0.31 to 2.0.35. I'll upgrade them all to 2.0.36 over the next couple of
days, and start playing with tunneling!

--Rob