Virtual Server Quest

To: linux-virtualserver@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Virtual Server Quest
From: Peter Kese <peter.kese@xxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 1998 22:01:23 +0100
Hello everyone!

I am very interested in the Virtual Server stuff and am new to this
mailing list (I am sort of new to linux as well (shame on me;-) ),
therefore I would first like to welcome everyone.

I have some questions to contribute to the FAQ list and will be very
gratefull for any answers.

- First of all I have noticed there are two releated projects: The
"virtual server" and the "network address translation" project. Could
you give me a hint, what is the main difference. Do I understand
correctly that VS is more dynamic? What does NAT offer that VS doesn't?

- How do you detect the termination of a connection? Are there some sort
of timeouts when the translation entries in the hash table expire? How
long does the balancer wait? Are the timeouts a part of the Masquerading
code?

- There is a lot of talk about virtual server cluster having to work
behind a firewall... Is it really necessarry to set up a firewall? Is is
neccessary to have a dedicated IP subnet? Can a balancer only have one
Ethernet adapter and coexist on the same subnet with the servers?
Can the servers have normally assigned IP addresses instead of
192.168...

- Why is IP Tunneling so much faster. Is it because the translation of
outgoing packets (from virtual server to the net) is less complicated?
In the incomming way, I would understand it is more work for the
balancer to tunnel the packets than simply to change the packet
headers?!

- Would it be possible to set up the weights in the balancer to forward
the HTTP connections mainly to one server and the NNTP connections to
another?

Cheers,
                Peter

P.S. There are some minor problems with the web site. Some links
contain the url
        http://proxy.iinchina.net/ZWS/ippfvs/...
instead of
        http://proxy.iinchina.net/~wensong/ippfvs/...
and that makes it harder to download the kernel patches.