回复: Linux Virtual Server.

To: "Terence Chan" <kachan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: 回复: Linux Virtual Server.
Cc: <linux-virtualserver@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Wensong Zhang" <wensong@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 1999 22:45:45 +0800
-----Original Message-----
楷璃: Terence Chan <kachan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
彶璃: wensong@xxxxxxxxxxxx <wensong@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
゜ヽ: 1999爛2堎5゜ 2:31
翋枙: Linux Virtual Server.

>Hi,
>
>Just have a chance to read your article on Creating Linux Virtual
>Servers. I am in fact in the process of researching for building a
>Redundancy mail server solution, and hope you can give me some valuable
>experience and suggestions.
>
>In my current setup, I am trying to setup two linux sendmail servers,
>one of them is primary and the other is secondary. The secondary server
>is only a backup of primary when primary fails in any sort. I am looking
>for a solution which is as transparent to user as possible.
>
>I have looked at fake, and found some problems. The problem exists when
>the primary server fails and it takes so long for the arp-cache to be
>cleared in the client, so that users will not be able to connect to the
>secondary at the time of failover. Is that possible to minimize the
>arp-cache refresh time without much overloading the network?? (I assume
>if we can broadcast the current fake ip to the network more frequent,
>and it will resolve the problem, but again it slows down the network.)

Maybe it is good to use MAC address takeover, but I don't know much about
it now. It is worth looking at
    Alan's High-Availability Linux Project Site
    http://www.henge.com/~alanr/ha/

>Second, since my setup will have two seperate servers and mail going to
>the primary server will need some kinds of mechanism to transfer to the
>secondary server. Can you suggest what is the best method doing this??

If there are just two servers (primary/backup), it is good to use a
shared SCSI disk between two servers. When one fails, the other can
take over the shared SCSI disk to get the content.

If there are more than two servers, it is good to use distributed
file system to share the contents. You can try
    The CODA distributed and fault-tolerant filesystem
    http://coda.cs.cmu.edu/
    GFS: Global File System
    http://gfs.lcse.umn.edu/

>Aside from the above problems, I cannot see there is anything else that
>stopped my idea to work?? Do you see any problem exists in my settings??
>Especially it is for smtp/pop.
>
>Many thanks for your time, and I am very interested in this sort of
>project. Should I be able to help in any way, please don't feel hesitate
>to contact me.

Please do what you want to do. It will help us. For example, if you
build a fault-tolerant mail server, you can report it in this mailing
list, we can learn new things from your experience.

>Regards,
>-=Terence=-

Have a good day,

Wensong