Traffic Balance with Linux Virtual Server?

To: linux-virtualserver@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Traffic Balance with Linux Virtual Server?
From: Andres Marchante Tirado <amt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 12:53:54 +0100 (MET)
Hi:

I've just spend many time probing and searching for equalize traffic load
between som routers.

For example this scenary:

a lot of bits_of_traffic-hungry machines in a LAN
two or many ISDN routers to the internet attached to a LAN

Would it be possible to use a Linux Load Balancer box to redirect traffic to
different routers as the traffic in the LAN increases?, so you can a certain
bandwith/user when the number of users of internet increases?. The idea is use
ISDN b-channels when its really necesary, and don't have to pay more than
necesary.

I think that something that:

In the load balancer 10.1.2.254 put these lines:

ipfwadm -F -a m 10.1.2.0/24 -D 0.0.0.0/0
ippfvsadm -A -t 0.0.0.0/0:80 -R 10.1.2.1:80
ippfvsadm -A -t 0.0.0.0/0:80 -R 10.1.2.2:80

Where:

10.1.2.254 is the default gateway for the 10.1.2.0 subnet

10.1.2.1
10.1.2.2  are ISDN dial on demad routers calling to a ISP

Then when a user in 10.1.2.0 try to connect to a outside IP destination the
load balancer redirect it to one of the ISDN router.

With a correct load-balance algorythm in the load balancer box this should
work as I describe, using a new ISDN router when a lot of users are using the
first and redirecting new users to the second ISDN router.

Is it possible?

if not ,could be implemented in a near future?

Is there another solution?, I don't want to buy a ISDN primary access router
with intelligent load balancing to do it, I wan't to do it with my linux
system.

Thanks in advance.

Andres.

--
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention in
                                                      - Mitch Radcliffe