Re: nested Linux Virtual Servers?

To: Andres Marchante Tirado <amt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, linux-virtualserver@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: nested Linux Virtual Servers?
From: Wensong Zhang <wensong@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 13:34:57 +0800
At 18:26 99-2-26 +0100, Andres Marchante Tirado wrote:
>Hi:
>
>A short question:
>
>is it possible to nest Linux Virtual Servers to expand a hierarchy and
have up
>to "infinite" nodes cluster?.

It depends on whether the root load balancer box becomes the new bottleneck
of the whole system when the number of nodes grows infinitely. :-)

The virtual server via tunneling is recommended to be used in this
situation, because the scheduling overhead of virtual server via tunneling
is much lower than that of virtual server via NAT.

In the principle, the load balancers (with tunneling) can be nested,
however I haven't tried it myself. When the number of nodes increases five
hundred (for instance), the root load balancer will be busy encapsulating
packets via tunneling, and it may become the bottleneck. Then, we probably
have to seek other techniques to minimize the scheduling overhead of the
root load balancer, for example broadcasting, varied routing, and so on.
And, the second-level load balancers can still use the virtual server via
tunneling.