Re: The patch

To: Matthew Kellett <matthewk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: The patch
Cc: VS List <linux-virtualserver@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Wensong Zhang <wensong@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 23:36:59 +0800
Hi Matthew,

I had a look at your load-balancing module patch against the vs-0.5 today.
It has changed a lot. The load-balancing module give me a great idea, it is
flexible because users don't need to set kernel options and rebuild kernel
to choose the load-balancing algorithms but it might lose a little bit
performance, however it will require a lot of time to merge it in the
current vs-0.8 and will completely change the structure of virtual server
codes, which may make the virtual server unstable. So, I think it is better
not to change the infrastructure of current virtual server releases now,
which is aimed for vs-1.0, we can add new function and fix bugs in the
release like 1.0.x. The release 1.1 will be the new development release,
where we will change the structure of vs codes and improve its flexibility,
we will also consider to provide the vs patch for Rusty's netfilter
framework at that time. OK? :)

As for load-informed scheduling, we need to write the open source code of
the load daemon and the poller, I just got an idea that we can use part of
the source code of 'top' programs to write that load daemon, and the poller
collects the load information from those load daemons on the real servers.
And, it can be done later, maybe for release 1.1.

Anyway, you will put your patch at
        http://proxy.iinchina.net/~wensong/ippfvs/matthewpatch-0.5.zip
People want to have a look at or use it, they can download it there.

Cheers,

Wensong