Re: 2.2 timeframe

To: Rob Nourse <rnourse@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: 2.2 timeframe
Cc: linux-virtualserver@xxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Wensong Zhang <wensong@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 1999 09:55:51 +0800
Hi Rob,

Rob Nourse wrote:

> Wensong,
> We have LinuxDirector running on a 2.0.36 kernel and while we're very happy
> with it so far, we'd rather use a standard kernel across all our systems.
> Since some are firewalls and therefore predicate ipchains and a V2.2
> Kernel, I'd like to offer to test Linuxdirector on V2.2 as soon as
> possible. It would greatly simplify my life if I only had to support a
> single kernel across all systems and I think 2.2 will be it.
> How about it... want a beta tester?

Sure, we need beta testers. :-)

I haven't begun to port the VS patch to kernel 2.2. Peter said that he
is porting the patch to kernel 2.2 and add the loadable load-balancing
module, he will release it next week. So, we wait for his kenel 2.2 patch. :-)

By the way, if your real servers run Linux 2.2.x (current versions), the
two request dispatching techniques (virtual server via tunneling and virtual
server via direct routing) won't work, because current kernel 2.2.x answer
all ARP requests for addresses of its interfaces except the LOOPBACK
and MULTICAST addresses.

Thank you,

Wensong