vs-0.9 and 2.0.36 - it's wonderful

To: linux-virtualserver@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: vs-0.9 and 2.0.36 - it's wonderful
From: Toni Andjelkovic <toni@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 11:08:55 +0200
hi to all,

just built a VS-NAT for 2 web-servers following the instructions on
your site, and i'd like to tell you how impressed i am.

my setup is as follows: load balancer with 2 interfaces, eth0 points
to 10.x.x.x, eth1 points to 192.168.x.x. where the real servers are
located. i set up eth0:0 for listening to HTTP requests and
passing them to the interior network. everything seems to work
smoothly, and linux-vs made my day ;) thanks for this wonderful
"hack".

however, i notice a short latency (2 - 3 sec) whenever i request a page
from the balancer "for the first time". what i mean by this is that
i requested a few pages as a test, and there was an initial delay at
the beginning of each session. i tested it, waited for about two hours, and
requested the pages again, same thing, it hangs for 2-3 secs before
delivering the first HTTP-response. it only affects the FIRST request, all
consequent requests are being passed normally and quite fast.

i don't believe it has to do with dns-lookups or the like, because i refer
to the balancer with it's ip address. has anyone experienced any similar
effects, or any idea on the reason?

cheers,
--
Toni Andjelkovic       |       (TA627-RIPE)      | Tel: (+43 1) 21717-58990
toni@xxxxxxxxxx        |        iT Austria       | Fax: (+43 1) 21717-58900