Re: A new 2.2 VS patch

To: Wensong Zhang <wensong@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: A new 2.2 VS patch
Cc: linux-virtualserver@xxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Lars Marowsky-Bree <lmb@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 07:45:31 +0200
On 1999-05-27T09:20:46,
   Wensong Zhang <wensong@xxxxxxxxxxxx> said:

> In the current code, you should understand that there are limits on how big a
> message can be.  Also,there is no retransmission or error correction protocol,
> so this needs to be taken into account.  Also, since a newline is a delimiter
> (at least in the serial version), so you can't easily send binary data.

The messages are very small - they basically just need carry the entry from
the table, which I assume would fit nicely into 80characters if exported from
the kernel via printk() and reimported on the other side with a sysctl...

What might be a problem is the number of messages, since the most
straightforward approach would be to print that at setup time, and we would
see a ton of UDP packets. I think the userlevel process should take care of
that and only broadcast every 5s or so. This of course implies we might lose
the last 5s of connections when a failover occurs, but this can probably be
dealt with.

Sincerely,
    Lars Marowsky-Brée

--
Lars Marowsky-Brée
Network Management

teuto.net Netzdienste GmbH - DPN Verbund-Partner