Re: masq timeout values

To: Christopher Seawood <cls@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: masq timeout values
Cc: linux-virtualserver@xxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Wensong Zhang <wensong@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 14:38:27 +0800

Christopher Seawood wrote:

> On Tue, 8 Jun 1999, Wensong Zhang wrote:
>
> > Please tell me more about your VS running ipvs-0.4, so that I can
> > repeat the problem.
> >
> > The insanely huge timeout problem of masquerading entry like the
> > incorrect refcnt (Reference Counter) of the masquerading entry.
>
> We're using a standard masq setup with the real servers on a private
> network behind the VS.  On the VS, we run:
>
> ipchains -F
> ipchains -A forward -j MASQ -s 10.0.1.0/24 -d 0/0
> ipchains -M -S 5 5 5

The timeout is in seconds. If you set the timeout of TCP, TCPFIN
and UDP to 5 seconds, 5 seconds and 5 seconds, I think they are
too short. Under realistic Internet load, most Internet connections
last longer than 5 seconds. Please try to set them to 5min, 1min
and 5min respectively, such as
        ipchains -M -S 300 60 300
Then check whether the entry of huge timeout still exists.

I repeated your configuration, but didn't get the entry of huge
timeout. Since I tested it in the local network, all network
connections can be finished in 5 seconds, this might be the
reason I didn't get the entry of huge timeout. Anyway, I will
still try to reproduce the entry of huge timeout.

> ipvsadm -C
> ipvsadm -A -t ${vsaddr}:${port} -s wlc
>
> We have mon setup to add/remove the real servers as necessary using:
> ipvsadm $cmd -t ${vsaddr}:${port} -r ${addr}:${port} $wstr
>
> Btw, ipvsadm-1.0.0 does not seem to accept any args to -w except -1.

Sorry that I tried to make ipvsadm to accept zero weight (means server
is not available) but changed mind and left this bug in the problem. It was
fixed several days ago.

> > I have met the other phenonmena.
>
> We were running 2.2.7+0.2 on our primary servers but they were getting
> to the point where they required a reboot daily.  We've been running
> 2.2.7+0.4 on our secondary server for about 2 days and one of our
> primaries for about a day.  Both boxes show the huge timeout problem but
> neither seems to have the gradual slowdown problem.
>
> Here's another interesting artifact I came across:
>
> Homer (2.2.7+0.2) just before I rebooted it yesterday with about 6.5 hrs
> uptime:
> Module                  Size  Used by
> ip_vs_rr                 992  69  (autoclean)
> ip_vs_wlc               10242982  (autoclean)
> 3c59x                  19112   2  (autoclean)

That's the incorrect usage of MOD_IN_USE_INC and MOD_IN_USE_DEC
in the VS patch v0.2 for kernel 2.2.

> Homer (2.2.7+0.4) now with about 29 hrs uptime:
> Module                  Size  Used by
> ip_vs_rr                 752   4  (autoclean)
> ip_vs_wlc                848   1  (autoclean)
> 3c59x                  19112   2  (autoclean)
>
> - cls

Thank you,

Wensong