Arp problem.

To: linux-virtualserver@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Arp problem.
From: Claudio Di-Martino <claudio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 13:23:45 +0000 (GMT)
Hi!

I've set up a VS using direct routing composed of two linux-2.2.9 boxes
with the 0.4 patch applied. The load balancer acts as a local node too.
I configured mon to monitor the state of the services and update
the redirect table accordingly.
I also configured heartbeat so that when the load balancer fails
the second machine takes over the virtual ip, sets up the redirect
table and starts mon. When the load balancer restarts, the backup
reconfigures itself as a real server, drops the interface alias
that carries the virtual ip, stops mon, clears the redirect table.
Although the configuration of the two machines is set up correctly
it fails to restore the load balancer due to arp caching problems.

It seems that the local gateway keeps routing requests for the
virtual ip to the load balancer backup. Sending gratuitous
arp packets from the load balancer doesn't have effect since
the interface of the backup is still alive and responding.

Has anyone encountered a similar problem and is there a hack
or a proper solution to take back control of the virtual ip?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestion!

Ciao!!!

Claudio Di Martino                           claudio@xxxxxxxx
Unsolicited and/or junk e-mail to this address isn't accepted