Re: Woohoo

To: Rob Thomas <rob@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Woohoo
Cc: linux-virtualserver@xxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Wensong Zhang <wensong@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 21:52:34 +0800
Hi Rob,

Rob Thomas wrote:

> Now I've got it working, I can take one machine out of the cluster and
> set up a different sort of load balancing that way.

It may be not necessary to take one machine off. If you like,
you can direct some packets to some servers via NAT, and
some to servers via tunneling or DR in a single LinuxDirector
of kernel 2.2.

> Yup. I thought direct routing would be the best for a 'local' host?

For packets for localnode, the director just pass those packets
to upper layer (daemon) to process them. Thus, there is no
difference whether to use NAT, tunneling or DR.

> I did have a look, but none of the pages say 'This doesn't work with a
> local connection' so I assume they all did.  So what should I be using
> for the local connection?

For example, you use Squid running at port 3128, and
use port 3128 for your virtual proxy service,  you can
use the following commands to direct some packets
for local processing:
    ipvsadm -A -t VIP:3128 -R 127.0.0.1

By the way, for local processing, please make sure the
service daemon running at the same port as the port
for the virtual service.

Wensong