Question about passive FTP

Subject: Question about passive FTP
From: "Ted Pavlic" <tpavlic_list@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 11:46:16 -0400
I have to apologize for all the traffic I've recently caused here. I don't
mean to whine about my own problems so much. :(

Anyway -- I'm runing the LinuxDirector on a machine and using direct routing
to load balance between the servers behind it. (well.. really along side of
it)

I allowed ports 20 and 21 and normal FTP works great. However, whenever I
try passive FTP (I'm using the ncftpd server, by the way) -- this happens:

[tpavlic@ctraid tpavlic]$ ftp 10.200.0.15
Connected to 10.200.0.15.
220 www.netwalk.com NcFTPd Server (licensed copy) ready.
Name (10.200.0.15:tpavlic): ftp
331 Guest login ok, send your complete e-mail address as password.
Password:
230-You are user #1 of 50 simultaneous users allowed.
230-
230 Logged in anonymously.
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
ftp> ls
200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for /bin/ls.
drwxr-xr-x   2 ftpuser  ftpusers      1024 May  2  1996 bin
drwxr-xr-x   2 ftpuser  ftpusers      1024 Aug 14  1997 columbus
drwx------   2 ftpuser  ftpusers      1024 Apr 13  1998 dsgsupport
drwxr-xr-x   2 ftpuser  ftpusers      1024 May  2  1996 etc
drwx-wx-wx   2 ftpuser  ftpusers      3072 Jun 25 08:45 incoming
drwxr-xr-x   5 ftpuser  ftpusers      1024 Jun 15 10:23 pub
drwxr-xr-x   2 ftpuser  ftpusers      1024 Oct 31  1996 wired
226 Listing completed.
ftp> passive
Passive mode on.
ftp> ls
227 Entering Passive Mode (216,69,192,197,4,25)
ftp: connect: Connection refused
ftp>

(I tried to show an example of port working and passive not)

In ncftpd, there is a configuration option that allows you to set the
passive-ip for this certain situation. I've done that. (Notice that the
connection is originally made to 10.200.0.15, however the passive tries to
connect to 216.69.192.197) Still, I get a connection refused as if an
attempt was being made to access the ftp server through the LinuxDirector.

And passive mode works fine when I go directly to the server. It's only when
I go through the LVS that I have trouble.

Thanks for any help you can give.

All the best --
Ted