Re: BUG or FEATURE? [ Re: ipvs-0.7 for kernel 2.2.10 released ]

To: <linux-virtualserver@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: BUG or FEATURE? [ Re: ipvs-0.7 for kernel 2.2.10 released ]
Cc: "Lars Marowsky-Bree" <lmb@xxxxxxxxx>
From: "Ted Pavlic" <tpavlic@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 12:47:07 -0400
> > Or, I will add some codes to let each real server entry keep a list of
> > its template masq entries, remove those template masq entries if the
> > real
> > server entry is deleted.
>
> To me, this seems most sensible. Lowering the timeouts has other effects,
> affecting general session persistence...

I agree with this. This was what I was hoping for when I sent the original
message. I figure, if the server the person was connecting to went down, any
persistence wouldn't be that useful when the server came back up. There
might be temporary files in existence on that server that don't exist on
another server, but otherwise... FTP or SSL or anything like that -- it
might as well be brought up anew on another server.

Plus, any protocol that requires a persistent connection is probably one
that the user will access frequently during one session. It makes more sense
to bring that protocol up on another server than waiting for the old server
to come back up -- will be more transparent to the user. (Even though they
may have to completely re-connect once)

So, yes, deleting the entry when a real server goes down sounds like the
best choice. I think you'll find most other load balancers do something
similar to this.

All the best --
Ted