ARPing & DR

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: ARPing & DR
From: Lars Marowsky-Bree <lmb@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 22:29:45 +0200
Good morning,

I have thought about how the ARP problem can occur at all with direct routing,
because I never noticed it. Then it occured to me that your virtual IP comes
from the same subnet as the real IP of the LVS and also all the real servers
share this media.

To avoid the "ARP problem" in this case without adding a kernel patch or
anything else, you can just add a direct route for the VIP using the real IP
of the LVS as a gateway address on the router in front of the LVS. ("ip route
VIP 255.255.255.255 real_ip" on a Cisco, or "route add -host VIP gw RIP" on
Linux)

Since I just used 2 ethernet cards and had the LVS act as gateway/firewall
anyway, I never noticed the ARP problem. (We have 2 LVS in a standby
configuration to eliminate the SPOF)

Just my few cents.

Sincerely,
    Lars Marowsky-Brée