ARP problems + patch (the last?)

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: ARP problems + patch (the last?)
Cc: support@xxxxxxxxx
From: "Axel Dunkel" <ad@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 19:10:08 +0200
Hi,

even after the arp patch I still had problems with DR and local clients. I
tracked this down to the following: a local client connects to the farm
address, the VS machine forwards the packet to a real server. If this very
real server does not have an arp entry for the local client, it sends out an
arp request for the local client - and gets stuck since he is using the farm
address (the request gets blocked by the arp patch). So the local client
does not get a reply until the real server has an arp entry (due to some
other traffic). I hope this was the last ARP problem. :-)

I patched arp.c again to let those arp's through but to change the ip adress
of the request to the main ip address of the very interface where the
request gets send.

So, I include two patches: one for plain 2.2.12/2.2.13pre6 (dunkel-
vs+arp.patch) and the other one for 2.2.12/2.2.13pre6 with the arp patch
applied (dunkel-vs.patch).

It finally works here, but - as usual - use at your own risk...feedback is
welcome!

Nice weekend,
Axel

---
Systemberatung A. Dunkel GmbH, Gutenbergstr. 5, D-65830 Kriftel
Tel.: +49-6192-9988-0, Fax: +49-6192-9988-99,   E-Mail: ad@xxxxxxxxx