Persistence & Cache clusters

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Persistence & Cache clusters
From: Lars Marowsky-Bree <lmb@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 12:33:25 +0200
Good morning,

I encountered a "nice" feature of cache clusters at a major German ISP,
notably "T-Online". Their cache clusters appear to not do persistence, which
means that a user may get directed to multiple proxies during a single session

The effect: During a single session, the user may appear to be comeing from
multiple source IPs, effectively running "persistence port" useless *sigh*

The "solution": Either we manage to sell T-Online a Linux VirtualServer which
would support proper persistence (though highly desireable, this is rather
unlikely;) or I hack the LVS code to accept a netmask for the persistent port.

The code would iph->saddr & netmask whenever referring to the templates, thus
you could specify that you want to group all clients from the same /28 /24 or
whatever to the same real server.

I know this is walking a fine line between accomodating broken cache clusters
and bundling all clients on the same real server.

Comments or someone willing to do the patch? ;-)

Sincerely,
    Lars Marowsky-Brée

--
Lars Marowsky-Brée