Re: I really can't understand it...

To: Ratz <ratz@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: I really can't understand it...
Cc: "lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Wensong Zhang <wensong@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 1999 23:15:25 +0800
Ratz wrote:

> I solved my first problem with the strange tcpdump-output by applying
> some HP-patches and configuring the loopback device in a correct way.
>
> ifconfig lo0:1 xxx.yyy.197.72 netmask 255.255.255.240 -arp up
> So here shows up the next question: How important is the netmask on
> virtual loopback? HP/UX doesn't let you give netmasks 255.255.255.255.

I don't have a HP/UX box to play now, so I am not sure whether LVS/DR
works with real servers running HP/UX.

The netmask 255.255.255.255 is used to just make sure that there
is route through the loopback alias interface. If you use the
255.255.255.240, please check the routing table of your HP/UX box,
if there is a xxx.yyy.197.64/27 route through the loopback alias
interface, manually remove that route.

> Ok, I can at least connect to one server, SYN-ACK, but the first
> response packet causes the connection to quit. If I try a second time,
> Loadbalancer correctly "redirects" to the second real server but I only
> get a SETSOCKOPT: invalid argument. I remember to have seen the same
> thing with IRIX, but since I can't tell what is causing this error, I
> dare to say it's UNiX specific.

Rebuild the kernel with CONFIG_IP_VS_DEBUG, then check the log
file whether the LVS box "direct route" packets to the HP/UX box
successfully.

Hope it helps,

Wensong