Re: clarification on lvs concepts

To: "Vinuthananda B. (CTS)" <vinu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: clarification on lvs concepts
Cc: "'lvs'" <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Michael Sparks <zathras@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 13:52:23 +0000 (GMT)
Vinu,

Quick answers:
  1) the Linux-Director is a router (of sorts) for NAT, and a router (of
     sorts) for inbound traffic for VS-DR & VS-TUN. As to how the traffic
     returns from the realservers to the clients in this latter scenario,
     consider this:
        * The director ensures the server receives a packet destined for
          location A.B.C.D:80
        * The real server is configured with a device for that IP.
        * Therefore the real server believes it "owns" the connection, and
          can reply directly back to the client. The upshot is NAT only
          happens on the inbound portion, and for many services this is a
          great boost - eg with HTTP, the inbound portion is an order of
          magnitude less than the outbound - massively improving
          scalability.

  2) I Can't answer - I dunno.

  3) The LVS provides a mechanism for providing a service, and handles
     load balancing part. It assumes that you have a monitoring system in
     place to help with failover. Take a look at the High Availability
     section on the LVS website for info.

For an alternative view on how LVS works, please take a look at a document
I've produced for our users, which attempts to detail some of the key
points of the LVS, with especial regard to our Pilot LVS-based service due
to be announced later today.
(http://wwwcache.ja.net/JanetService/PilotService.html)

Please note : If there are any conflicts between documents on the LVS
website and my document, my document is wrong - please point out any
discrepancies, and I'll fix them ASAP.

Michael.
--
National & Local Web Cache Support        R: G117
Manchester Computing                      T: 0161 275 7195