Re: updated HOWTO

Subject: Re: updated HOWTO
From: Wensong Zhang <wensong@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 01:33:54 +0800
Joseph Mack wrote:

> presumably it will work if you use port 0. Presumably you have a table
> in ipvs that connects all services from a client's IP through to a
> particular realserver. Can you modify the table so that requests from
> port1 (eg 443) are sent to the realserver handing port0 (eg 80).

Yup, port 0 is wildcard of port number. It works in pcc in the ipvs0.8
or earlier. I am not sure if the port 0 in ipvs0.9 with persistent port,
because I haven't tested it myself. Anyway, I will check it tomorrow. If
not, I make port=0 work, just for special applications.

> > I see that there is some problem in his design, SSL is expensive only
> > in generating and exchange session key, then it is simple and fast to
> > use session key to encrypt and decrypt data.
>
> this is part of SSL that I don't know much about.
>
> His problem isn't really an SSL problem. He just needs 2 ports to be
> serviced by the same realserver, one of them (443) just happens to be SSL.
> All/most e-commerce sites expect that when the client has finished
> assembling his order on the port 80 http site and transfers to the port
> 443 (https) site to give the credit card number to place he order, that
> they will be on the same machine (there only being one machine) and the
> assembled order can be read out of memory/disk and matched up with the
> credit card number. Something like this will be needed to allow LVS to
> be used with already existing e-commerce applications.

Well, the browser with shopping cart will be connected to the same
server, because the server remember the goods in the cart. However, I
don't see the reason why the good ordering list must be sent to the
server, I think it should be sent to some secure transaction servers.

Just a little bit thoughts.

Wensong