all about arp

To: "Joseph Mack" <mack@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: all about arp
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: nsr1@xxxxxxx
Date: 20 Nov 1999 21:01:10 -0000
Hi,
I am a new hand.I want to run ipvs 0.8.3-2.2.12 in LVS-DR.I have some question
about arp even when I read the new HOWTO-2.2.13.

1.If a real server nonarping,that means it can not reply arp,then can it
actively to arp other MAC,such as the default gateway?If not ,how can it get
the MAC of default gateway if it has no arp cache of the gateway  ?

2.If the real server can't reply arp, but can arp others.I know the patch will
solve the below qustion . But in my mind if I chose a device such dummy or
lo:0, it will not need any patch to the real server.Is it right? If there is no
patch on real servers, how to solve the below question just as the new HOWTO
says:
(
When real server wants to send the response packet to the
gateway, it finds out, that it does not know the gateway's MAC
address.It sends an ARP request to the local network and asks for the
gateway MAC address. Gateway receives the packet and responds to it, which is
correct. But at the same time, gatweay does a little optimization. It finds
out, that the realserver's MAC address is not listed in its ARP tables and adds
the entry into the table, just in case it might need that address in the near
future.The ARP request contained the VIP address and the realserver's MAC
address, so from now on, the gateway will send all packets destined for the VIP
to the real server instead (due to MAC address). This means all packets that
follow will avoid the virtual server as whole and get responded by the
realserver).

3.If I patch sdw_fullarpfix.patch,I need not patch ipvs-0.8.3 first ,is it
right?  Is the  sdw_fullarpfix.patch  fit for all arp.c of 2.2.x not only the
2.2.5 (as the patch indicates)

4. I know sdw_fullarpfix.patch by read mails, but I do not find any document in
the LVS website or the new HOWTO,maybe I am inattention of it.Sorry to ask
that where the relative documents are?

Thank you !