Re: virtual host

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: virtual host
From: Horms <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 18:44:14 -0800
On Wed, Nov 24, 1999 at 09:32:39PM -0500, Darrell Colllins wrote:
> Is there a way to have one ip use virtual host like apache?
>
> eg: myhost1.domain.com forward all ports to 10.0.0.1
>      myhost2.domain.com forward all ports to 10.0.0.2

If you want to have a single IP address that can determing HTTP
header information and distribute connections bassed on this
information then no. The Linux Virtual Server only examines the
source and destination address of the packet, not application
protocol specific information inside.

If you want to have one IP address per virtual domain thin this
is possible, though only for a sinble port (I believe). Different
server pools could be set up for each destination address and
pools can have as few as one server. If you want to forward all
ports in this sort of scenario and only have one back end server
per pool then you would be best to look at using netfilter.

--
Horms