Re: Newbie Advice

To: "Feldman, Jim" <Jim.Feldman@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Newbie Advice
Cc: "'lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Wensong Zhang <wensong@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 01:59:27 +0800
"Feldman, Jim" wrote:

> Questions:
> 1. I may need to test for a non-text based TCP service running on a
> Realserver, which has no client for Linux.  Can mon pull this off?  SMAP?

Well, I don't know what SMAP is. Anyway, you can write a simple perl
progarm to poll it, it is not difficult.

> 2. Would a connection limit of 2^16 be unreasonable, given the memory? If I
> read correctly, each connection is 128 bytes, but are there other walls I'll
> hit?  Is this (500mhz PIII) enough horsepower?

No, there is no the 2^16 limit. If you mention the hash table size
2^16, the table can hold 2^18 entries or more, but the collision would
be worse. Yeah, each connection costs 128 bytes effectively. So, if
you have 128M free memory, you can have one million concurrent
connection.

PIII 500MHZ is enough in most cases, the LVS scheduling is not
cpu-intensive.

> 3. Am I being too paranoid in putting the Realservers on a private LAN?  The
> primary extra cost is in having more ports on the switch.  The benefits are
> added security and hardening, plus no one can accidentally set up a route
> back to the client that is independent of the LVS.

No. Actually, it depends on your application. LVS provides flexible
forwarding mechaniasm. You can use three forwarding methods together
in a cluster, for example you can send packets via NAT to some real
servers, some packets via tunneling to some real servers, and some
packets via Direct Routing to other servers too.

> 4.  Am I seriously into the "bleeding edge"?
>
> Thanks for letting me ramble, and any wisdom you can provide will be greatly
> appreciated.  This is an extremely cool project.
>
> Jim Feldman
>
> Bonus question.  Since the VS-Tun setup only talks Linux to Linux, could you
> use the remote Linux box as a remote frontend to other boxes.  The parallel

Yes, it can. You can get some old 486 to do tunneling before some
powerful servers. :-)

Wensong