Re: Using LVS for an high performance database

To: Markus Bernhardt <mbernhardt@xxxxxxxxxx>, lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Using LVS for an high performance database
From: Skliarouk Peter <skliaroukp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1999 10:46:59 +0000
I recommend you to look in project MOSIX -
it allows an application to share its memory among several computers
switching cpu context from one computer to another computer.

LVS wouldn't help you - they refuse to implement any context
analysis in kernel space.

Markus Bernhardt wrote:

> Hello
>
> Our szenario:
>     We have to store 400GB+ in a self written database.
>     Main problem is indexing. We need 10 - 15 GB of RAM.
>     There is not enough money to by an S/390.
>     We want to use Linux.
>
> Our idea:
>     We splitt the data in smaller portions and distibute them on several
> machines with 1-2GB RAM.
>     Then we are using LVS to present it external as one server.
>
> Our question:
>     Is it a good idea, to use the scheduler to analyse a small portion
> of the request
>     (it has to analyze, which portion of data is needed)
>     before it redirects the packages to the real servers ?

Bye,                   | Those who do not understand Unix are
Penn (43062358)        | condemned to reinvent it, poorly.