Re: making apache play nice.

To: tc lewis <tim@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: making apache play nice.
Cc: Michael Sparks <michael.sparks@xxxxxxxxx>, lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, loul@xxxxxxxx, Mike Jurney <mikej@xxxxxxxxxx>
From: Wensong Zhang <wensong@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 13:38:51 +0800
tc lewis wrote:

> ok, this definitely makes sense.
> solution 1 won't work for me (way way way too many sites).  =)
> solution 2 i just don't like, heh.
> solution 3 is wise.

Solution 3 is good for performance, and easy to maintain for virtual
hosting. The httpd.conf of Apache is the same for all the web servers,
so you can edit one and copy it to all other servers.

> i'm trying to switch to vs-dr.
> i now have:
> [root@jammer /root]# /sbin/ipvsadm
> IP Virtual Server version 0.8.3 (size=4096)
> Protocol LocalAddress:Port Scheduler Flags
>       -> RemoteAddress:Port    Forward Weight ActiveConn InActConn
> TCP 206.245.168.31:80 rr
>       -> 192.168.123.3:80      Route   1      0          0
>       -> 192.168.123.2:80      Route   1      0          0
>
> real servers are the same.

No, this won't work.

You need configure the 206.245.168.31 on a non-arp interface alias or
use Horm's redirect approach for the LVS/DR. Please have a look at
http://www.LinuxVirtualServer.org/arp.html for more information.

You probably need to configure external IP address on the real servers
too, so that the outgoing packets don't go through the load balancer,
but follow their own routes.

Hope it helps,

Wensong