Re: [lvs-users] VS-DR Working on FreeBSD

To: Michael Sparks <zathras@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [lvs-users] VS-DR Working on FreeBSD
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Joseph Mack <mack@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 14:59:10 -0500 (EST)
> > Beware: This also sets the root (logical) loopback into noarp mode! But
> > it worked for me with LVS-DR v.0.9.2 & FreeBSD 3.2, 3.3 (I made a
> > mistake, I didn't test FreeBSD 3.1).
>
> When I'd been trying it last time, I knew I'd probably missed something
> very simple and stupid and I had.
>
> And realised this time what I had done wrong - I'd rather stupidly
> forgotten to switch IP forwarding on on the director. (Since we're using
> tunneling for the other servers this hadn't affected the Linux boxes...)

Is ip_forwarding _NOT_ needed for VS-Tun? In the HOWTO I have that it's
needed (I knew it was needed in VS-DR so assumed it was needed in VS-Tun
without thinking about it a lot). If it's not needed is this because at
least one of the s_addr and d_addr are changed on the packet?

HOWTO Sect 8.5 icmp redirects, ip_forwarding

.
.

ip_forward should be on for VS-DR (and VS-Tun) as the source
address of the outgoing (towards the realserver) packets is that
of the client.  (This is handled by configure.pl).  Ip_forwarding
is on by default in 2.0.x kernels and off by default in 2.2.x
kernels. Beware if you are constructing scripts yourself.

> In case it's of use to anyone else, to use FreeBSD boxen as real servers:

I'm putting ratz's stuff into the configure file this week (I hope)

> Tested on FreeBSD 3.2-STABLE & 2.2.5-STABLE.

these are the `uname -r` outputs for the 2 FreeBSD's you tested?

Thanks
Joseph Mack mack@xxxxxxxxxxx