[lvs-users] chosen arp problem solution can apparently affect performanc

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lvs-users] chosen arp problem solution can apparently affect performance
From: Doug Bagley <doug@xxxxxxxx>
Date: 14 Feb 2000 14:31:00 -0600
I was interested in seeing if the linux/ipchains workaround for the
arp problem would perform just as well as the arp_invisible kernel
patch.  It is apparently much worse.

I ran a test with one client running ab ("apache benchmark"), one
director, and one realserver running Apache.  They are all various
levels of pentium desktop machines running 2.2.13.

Using the arp_invisible patch/dummy0 interface, I get 226 HTTP
requests/second.  Using the ipchains redirect method, I get 70
requests per second.  All other things remained the same during the
test.

I found this pretty interesting, I was initially attracted to ipchains
method because it is so simple to config (well maybe 2 shell commands
vs. 4 or 5 :-), and doesn't even require a kernel patch.  Based on
this test, though, I wouldn't recommend using ipchains redirect for a
high traffic web site.

Cheers,
Doug