Re: [lvs-users] activeconns & inactconns variables

To: Ty Beede <tybeede@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [lvs-users] activeconns & inactconns variables
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Julian Anastasov <uli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 07:57:15 +0200 (EET)
        Hello,

On Wed, 16 Feb 2000, Ty Beede wrote:

> I am curious about the implementation of the inactconns and
> activeconns variables in the lvs source code.  I keep requesting
> information but nobody seems to be responding, I hope I'm not
> committing some sort of faux pas...
>
> My question is to simply confirm my understanding of the
> implementation of the inactconns and activeconns variables in the
> source code.  As I understand it the inactconns variable
> represents the total number of connections is an inactive state
> of a real server, ie they are about to mature into an active state
> on the compleation of the hand shaking process or they are about
> to be removed on compleation of the close connection operation.
> Also, I would assume the inactconns to be short lived and the
> inactconns variable to fluxuate somewhat.  While I assume the
> activeconns variable is the total number of activeconns to the
> cluster, ie established connections.  It would also be nice to
> know the timeout period for each of these connections, ie how
> long does an active conn take idleing to be removed, and the
> activeconns variable decremented.

        Info about LVS <= 0.9.7

TCP
        active:         all connections in ESTABLISHED state
        inactive:       all connections not in ESTABLISHED state

UDP
        active:         0 (none) (LVS <= 0.9.7)
        inactive:       all (LVS <= 0.9.7)

        active + inactive = all

        Look in this table for the used timeouts for each
protocol/state:

/usr/src/linux/net/ipv4/ip_masq.c, masq_timeout_table

        For VS/TUNNEL and VS/DR the TCP states are changed checking only
the TCP flags from the incoming packets. For these methods UDP entries can
expire (5 minutes?) if only the real servers sends packets and there are
no packets from the client.

        For info about the TCP states:

- /usr/src/linux/net/ipv4/tcp.c

- rfc793.txt

> Please excuse any excessive ignorance on my part, my personal
> area of greater understanding is file systems and networking code
> can be somewhat odd at times.

Regards

--
Julian Anastasov <uli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>