Re: [lvs-users] mon/ldirectord service monitoring improvements?

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [lvs-users] mon/ldirectord service monitoring improvements?
From: Doug Bagley <doug@xxxxxxxx>
Date: 17 Feb 2000 09:40:06 -0600
Michael Sparks <zathras@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> On 17 Feb 2000, Doug Bagley wrote:
> > ipvs gave a more machine readable format.  I saw a previous post in
> > the archives about using XML format, but I'm not particularly fond of
> > XML unless it is used for data import/export to other applications.
>
> I chose to use XML since on our systems we're going to need a very high
> degree of decoupling of the monitoring data format from the monitoring
> systems in an extensible manner. We also have quite extensive reporting
> needs, and the ability to take quick snapshots in a nicely mungible format
> (cf the perl XML::Simple module...) I chose that.

I don't really want to discuss XML too much on this list, it could get
into an off-topic religious discussion :-)

I'm just wondering about the format of the ipvs information in /proc,
which is basically the same human readable format printed by "ipvsadm".
I'd like to see a more machine readable format, but I don't think it
would be appropriate to put XML in /proc.  That seems like a far reaching
precedent to me.  On the other hand, if the ipvsadm command wished to
have a option to represent that information in XML, I can see how that
could be useful.

Cheers,
Doug