Re: [lvs-users] activeconns & inactconns variables

To: Julian Anastasov <uli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [lvs-users] activeconns & inactconns variables
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Jean-Francois Nadeau <jf.nadeau@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2000 10:45:14 -0500
        What about trying to:

> - use persistent timeout 1 second for the virtual service.
>
>       If you have one entry for this client you have all entries
> from this client to the same real server. I didn't tested it but
> may be a client will load the whole web page. If the server is
> overloaded the next web page will be "we're too busy".
>
> - switch the weight for the Director between 0 and 10000. Don't
> delete the Director as real server.
>
>       Weight 0 means "No new connections to the server". You
> have to play with the weight for the Director, for example:

Will a weight of 0 redirect traffic to the other real servers (persistency
remains ?)

I can't get rid of the 600 seconds persistency because we run a transactionnal
engine. i.e. if a client begins on a real server, he must complete the
transaction on that server or get an error (transactionnal contexts are stored
locally).

> - if your real servers are loaded near 99% set the weight to 10000
> - if you real servers are loaded before 95% set the weight to 0
>
>       You can check the free ram or the cpu idle time for the
> real servers. By this way you can correctly set the weights for
> the real servers and to switch the weight for the Director.
>

>       These recommendations can be completely wrong. I've never
> tested them. If they can't help try to set httpd.conf:MaxClients
> to some reasonable value. Why not to put the Director as real
> server permanently. With 3 real servers is better.

Those are already optimized,  bottleneck is  when 1500 clients tries our site
in less than 5 minutes.....

One of ours has suggested that the real servers check their own state (via
TCP in use given by sockstat) and command the redirector to redirect traffic
when needed.

Can you explain more in details why the number of ActiveConn on real server
continue to grow while redirecting traffic locally with a weight of 10000 (and
Inactonn on that real server decreasing normally).

>  >
> Regards
>
> --
> Julian Anastasov <uli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>