Re: Proxy ARP and LVS

To: Julian Anastasov <uli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Proxy ARP and LVS
From: Zhao Hongfei <zhaohf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 14:13:06 +0800
Dear sir,

Thank you.
Because my English is so poor,if you don't understand what I want to say,let me
know.

Julian Anastasov wrote:

>         Hello,
>
> On Sat, 26 Feb 2000, Zhao Hongfei wrote:
>
> > Good morning,every one!
> >
> > Now I want to make some changes in the LVS so that any realservers can be
> > the director and the director can be a realservers at same time by patching
> > the arp. And now I have two problem to ask:
> >  1.Could somebody can give me some advices about linux kernel debugging;
>
>         Read the Source (TM)

Which one? gdb source?
Once I made a intermediate driver(RED,WFQ,CQ) on the NT server.Of course,the
driver
is a boottime loadable module.At that time I use the nullmodemcable to debug the
driver by windbg.And now I also want make some changes in the ipvs,but I know
little about the driver debugging on  the linux.And now I am working.So I need
some
help.

> >  2.At any time,there are a backup server and a director in the cluster,how
> > do
> > you think?
> >

>         Use 2.2.14+ and you don't need to patch ARP. See the instructions
> in http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/arp.html

I see.

>       So, just compile LVS in all (2-3) cluster nodes.
>
>         You can hide your secondary (VIP) devices (dummy* ?) at system
> startup on all hosts and just to setup the primary eth alias(es) on the
> current director. When one host becomes director you have to send
> gratuitous ARP packet (for VIP) on the LAN. The VIP can be moved easy on
> another host using gratuitous ARP but don't play with it often. All
> current connections are lost. It is a backup variant to switch to another
> director. You can safely use the director as real server at least with the
> latest stable kernels. So, put some real servers in the cluster and elect
> one as director.  Not very useful for LVS/NAT where the real server knows

Yes, I did want use LVS/DR rather than LVS/NAT.But I want the backup director
can
get configuration information periodically from director by udp,and once
directors
is down,the backup director becomes the director automatically and takeover all
the
connections.Meanwhile,I want the director can be a realserver while it is the
director and the backup director can be a realserver also.Could you give me some
advices?

> its default gateway. In this case you must change def gw in all real
> servers when changing the director.
>
> Regards
>
> --
> Julian Anastasov <uli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>