Re: Proxy ARP and LVS

To: "Julian Anastasov" <uli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Proxy ARP and LVS
Cc: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Ty Beede" <tybeede@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 11:15:35 -0800
> current director. When one host becomes director you have to send
> gratuitous ARP packet (for VIP) on the LAN. The VIP can be moved easy on
> another host using gratuitous ARP but don't play with it often

Just a little note about gratuitous ARP according the TCP/IP Illustrated,
Vol. 1 by Stevens this gratuitous functionality of ARP is not supported
correctly by every implementation of arp, in this <Bhide, A., Elnozahy, E.
N., and Morgan, S. P. 1991. "A Highly Available Network File Server,"
Proceedings of the 1991 Wineter USENIX Conference, pp 199-205, Dallas, Tex.>
referance the authors apparently thought about using gratuitous ARP for the
same purpose but decided not to because they found some client machines
which didn't correctly support it.  I don't know if this matters but it
might be good to check up on pages 62 & 63 of Steven's book.