LV-DR and Packet rewriting?

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: LV-DR and Packet rewriting?
From: Jeremy Johnson <jjohnson@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2000 14:52:13 +0000
sorry if these questions have already been answered, I looked through the list archive and haven't been able to find any suitable responses that satisfy my questions so, here goes...

I am considering using LV-DR for load-balancing a certain cluster of servers using LVS instead of DNS round-robin, so, I have been asking around and have decided how I want to setup the network to work, here is a short overview with a few short questions following:

packet comes in, router sends out an ARP for IP, LVS has the IP and responds, packet is sent to LVS which picks a RealServer and forwards the request to the realserver, realserver accepts packets from anywhere bound for anywhere and processes locally and sends response back to user

what I am not sure about is, would this work? I believe I read somewhere that this has worked, and you don't need to deal with the ARP problem because each realserver does not have a special device setup with the LVS ip.. so, does this work? if so, how does the client know that the response that the realserver sends back is coming from the same IP as the LVS server? does the realserver automagically rewrite the packet headers to pretend to be from the original IP that the packet was destined for?

also, as side question about how LVS handles a single client that uses multiple proxies... for instance aol, when an aol user attempts to connect to a website, each request can come from a different proxy so, how/if does LVS know that the request is from the same client and bind them to the same server?

Thanks, if you need more details, please ask.. I am rather tired and am not sure this email is explanatory enough
Jeremy Johnson