Re: shared-state load balancing (was Re: random SYN-drop function)

To: Wensong Zhang <wensong@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: shared-state load balancing (was Re: random SYN-drop function)
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, cluster-list@xxxxxxxxxx
From: Lars Marowsky-Bree <lmb@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 15:04:18 +0100
On 2000-03-16T10:07:47,
   Wensong Zhang <wensong@xxxxxxxxxxxx> said:

Cc: cluster-list@xxxxxxxxxx ? ;)

> I just thought an idea on transfering the state table, it might be good.
> We run a SendingState and a ReceivingState kernel_thread (daemons inside
> the kernel like kflushd and kswapd) on the primary IPVS and the backup
> respectively. Everytime the primary handles packets, it will put the
> change of state in a sending queue. The SendingState kernel_thread will
> wake up every HZ or HZ/2, to send the change in the queue to the
> ReceivingState kernel_thread through UDP packets, and clear the queue
> finally. The ReceivingState receives the packets and changes its own state
> table.

This is good, but not good enough.

You need to handle the special case when the other machine has just come up
(full copy of the state table, and then parse all updates which happened since
the start of the sync and the end of the initial transfer).

And you don't want to implement this for LVS as a special case, but as a
general case for the Netfilter framework, which should save a lot of duplicate
work.

Sincerely,
    Lars Marowsky-Brée <lmb@xxxxxxx>
    Development HA

--
Perfection is our goal, excellence will be tolerated. -- J. Yahl