Re: Relax source validation: VS/DR and VS/TUN as def gw

To: Julian Anastasov <uli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Relax source validation: VS/DR and VS/TUN as def gw
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Joseph Mack <mack@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 13:57:45 -0500 (EST)
Sorry if this is a dupe
Joe

On Fri, 17 Mar 2000, Julian Anastasov wrote:

> > 1. checks the network by pinging the VIP (which should only be on the
 > > director)
 >
 >      Oops, You can't ping the VIP from the real server. You
 > ping yourself if the script is restarted, i.e. if lo:0 is
 > configured with VIP.

 The configure script is designed to be run by someone following a recipe,
 who doesn't understand everything that's going on and will not know what
 to do if the LVS doesn't work first time. Since it probably will be run
 many times between reboots to get everything right, it does something
 sensible if it detects a previous installation (most instructions are
 idempotent eg putting the VIP onto eth0:12 can be rerun as many times as
 you like).

 You first run the script on the director and it does director things (like
 installing the VIP and running ipvsadm). Then you run it on the
 realservers where it looks to see if the VIP is already installed. If it
 is, the script issues a notice that it won't be able to check connection
 to the VIP on the director. If it sees the VIP on another device (eg tunl0
 and you are about to set up VS-DR), it will bring down the tunl0:VIP. If
 no device with the VIP is detected on the realserver, then the script will
 ping the VIP.

 (maybe I should remove all devices with the VIP on the realserver
 at the beginning of the script).

 I wanted to do as many checks as possible in the script.

Joseph Mack mack@xxxxxxxxxxx