Re: Kernel

To: Peter Martin <p.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Kernel
Cc: "'lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Joseph Mack <mack@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 05:51:23 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 29 Mar 2000, Peter Martin wrote:

> Recently I tried to update my director to a higher version IPVS 9.8,
> and to do this I assumed I needed the new Kernel source, I got 2.2.14,
> I've been through the HOWTO etc. and thought I done all correctly,
> but, on rebooting the kernel would not load, sticking on 'Loading
> Modules',

did you do

#make modules_install

after doing make modules

on bootup the command

#depmod -a

must be run the first time after booting with the new modules.
If this isn't done, then the kernel won't know which modules
are available.

Don't put anything needed for bootup into modules (eg scsi
drivers if you're booting from a scsi disk)

Joseph Mack mack@xxxxxxxxxxx