Re: Simple Replication...

To: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Simple Replication...
From: "Jochen Tuchbreiter" <jochen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 21:44:16 +0200
Hi,

this is exactly the same Problem I have bumped into: How do I replicate the
data on my Fileserver in realtime to another "hot spare" machine ...

The "solutions" I found so far:

a) use Coda as filesystem

AFAIK Coda allows realtime replication. Coda is still not ready for
production use though so I am no considering using it

b) have both Fileservers access the same Disk-Array

Set up a "dual-homed SCSI" system as described in the Linux-HA Howto so that
_both_ fileservers access the same disks (which are mirrored via RAID 1). If
one fileserver fails the other mounts the disk-array. This will only make
sense when using a journaling filesystem though. There are lots of
"in-development" journaling filesystems for linux but AFAIK none of them is
"stable" yet (ReiserFS, XFS, JFS, ...) If you are not using a journaling
filesystem the fs-check on a takeover of the disk-array will take several
minutes which is not acceptable in my case

c) use "slow", not-realtime replication

this can be done easily once per hour or so via rsync.

Are there any more options ? I have now spent several hours doing "research"
on the web but haven´t found a good solution for this problem though ...

Greetings,

Jochen